This recipe can go hand-in-hand with our chocolate ice-cream recipe. First make the ice cream the day before. Then prepare the meringue for the Baked Alaska just before serving.
- 4 Small pastry cases or 1 large pastry case (or flan cases) - you can buy these in the shops ready-made for ease and to save time
- 1 jar of Mango & Passion fruit caramel sauce
- 1 Passion fruit
- 4 Egg whites
- 225g Caster sugar
- 70% Colombian chocolate Ice Cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 230C / Gas mark 8. Take the ice cream out of the freezer and let it soften for 10-15 minutes
- To make the meringue, whisk the egg whites at full speed until they are stiff but not dry. Add the caster sugar one teaspoonful at a time while whisking on high speed until all sugar has been added.
- To prepare the base, cover each pastry case with 1 teaspoon of the Mango & Passion fruit caramel sauce. Cut the passion fruit in half and scoop out the fruit onto the sauce. Cover with ice cream but not so much that it is over the edge of the pastry case.
- Pipe the meringue over the ice cream, Important – Make sure there are no gaps to let the heat get through the meringue to the ice cream.
- Bake immediately in the oven for about 3-4 mins until the meringue goes brown.