This is a variation of a classic Hong Kong dish called “Swiss-style chicken wings”, which is cooked in a sweet soy sauce, and is the inspiration for our award-winning soy caramel chocolate and soy caramel sauce. You can cook it either on the BBQ or in an oven – so you can enjoy this all-year round.
- 12 chicken wings
- 2/3 cup of dark soy sauce
- 1/3 cup of light soy sauce
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 2-3 spring onions, cut to 2-3cm lengthwise
- 4 slices ginger
- 2 tbsp soy caramel sauce
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil, and put the chicken wings in for 1 minute. Then take the chicken wings out and put in a bowl of ice water.
- Put the soy sauce, sugar, spring onions and ginger into another saucepan and bring the marinade mixture to boil.
- Take the marinade mixture away from the heat and put the chicken wings into the marinade for 30 minutes, turning the wings occasionally.
- If you are using the oven, pre-heat the oven to 180C. If you are doing a BBQ, make sure the BBQ is hot enough.
- Cook the wings in the oven or on the BBQ for 7-8 minutes, turning them halfway through the cooking.
- Brush the soy caramel sauce onto the wings, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Brush some more soy caramel sauce onto the wings before serving.
- Optional: Garnish with some chopped chives or more spring onions. Alternatively try grating some dark chocolate on top of the wings before serving.